History of the Penobscot County Conservation Association:
The PCCA is a volunteer organization comprised of sportsmen and sportswomen from the local area. Our organization got its start back in 1928 when 100 prominent local sportsmen met and formed the Penobscot County Fish and Game Association. Since that time our members have been active in preserving our sporting heritage with special emphasis on exposing youth to the traditions of hunting, fishing and outdoor lore.
In early years the Club focused on managing fish and game populations through regulation and stocking. The Club argued for bag limits and seasons for fish, recommended stocking of specific waters, and raised and released pheasants and turkeys to augment natural populations. Over time these activities gave way to broader concerns for conservation education, habitat improvement and public access to recreational lands. In 1951 the name of the organization was changed to the Penobscot County Conservation Association in recognition of it broader mission.
Staff members and officials of the Junior Conservation Camp meeting at Camp Jordan in 1956 to finalize plans for the summer encampment. Victor Viola, Camp Director and developer of the JCC is shown in the center. (Bangor Daily News photo by Webb)
Some Dates of Note:
1933: The PCCA held the first annual Eastern Maine Sportsmen’s Show at the old Bangor City Hall. Later, as the Show grew it was held in the Bangor Auditorium on Main Street (1940-1955) and the New Bangor Auditorium and Civic Center (1955-1987). In 1988 the Show was moved to the University of Maine Field House, Gymnasium, and Pool where it has been held annual ever since.
1951: The Club held its first Junior Conservation Camp at Camp Jordan on Branch Pond. The Club designed the curriculum and offered the one-week program. Members, along with local guides and wardens from Inland Fish and Game, taught the courses. In 1993 the Club began sending students to the Maine Conservation School at Bryant Pond in western Maine, and in 1995 began sending youth to the Conservation Camp at Greenland Point near Princeton in eastern Maine as well.
1960: The PCCA offered it first college scholarship to an undergraduate student in wildlife management at the University of Maine. In 1977 the Club established a trust fund to support scholarships and now 40 scholarships are given annually to students at the University of Maine, Unity College, and the University of Maine at Machias.
1969: The PCCA offered its first Hunter Safety Course to 140 students ages 10-16. The Club was a leader in developing the instructional program adopted for use throughout the state. Over the years the Club has certified almost 6000 safe hunters through its two-day program offered annually at the Clubhouse.
1989: The Club purchased 300 acres in the southwestern corner of the Town of Stetson as the first step in the development of the Richard Macleod Wildlife Management Area. The Club added to this property over the next five years until it now owns about 1300 acres.